Plus Size Women: How To Look Cute and Sexy In Every Shape
“Don’t be afraid to try a new style!”
“This is the latest trend!”
“This will definitely look good on you!”
Ladies, do these lines sound familiar to you? While everyone is encouraging you to step out of your comfort zone, there’re unspoken rules for the plus size women to look great according to your body figure. So, do you know your own body shape and what are the big no-no to it?
If your hips are wider than your bust...
You are most likely having a pear-shaped or a triangular-shaped body. While many think that dressing this goddess-like plus size figure is a piece of cake, you might camouflage your defined waistline and a great posterior if you pick a less flattering large size clothing. Learn how to dress your body shape strategically by following these simple steps.
- Extend your narrow shoulder with V-necklines, scoop necks and bell-sleeves.
- Accessorise yourself with big or chunky earrings or necklaces to add volume to your shoulder.
- Accentuate your bust with frills and pleats.
- Wear fitted or streamlined top of just the right length. Tunics are what you should stay away from as they draw attention to your hips and thighs.
- Showcase your slim waist with an empire silhouette.
- Elongate your bottom with an A-line or a flared skirt. If you’re more comfortable with pants, bootcut and flare denim styles are great go-tos. Never go for low-rise skinny bottoms.
If your upper body is broader than your hips…
You have an apple-shaped body. In contrast to a pear, apple has broader shoulders, larger bust, a wide torso, a fuller waist and thinner limbs. Though your body is generally well-proportioned, an apple has a heavy top. To dress an apple-shaped body,
- Shape your upper body by wearing a V-necks and boyfriend button-ups.
- Elongate your torso with a flowy tunic blouse or any long tops.
- Wear dark tops and light bottoms. Play around with colour to create that visual illusion.
- Define your waist with a tie-up blouse and avoid putting on heaving embellishment around it.
- Maximise your great feature - long and thin legs, by choosing straight-cut jeans and staying away from high-rise bottoms and ruffle skirts.
If you’re curvaceous but owning a tiny waist...
You must be having an hour-glass body then. You’re fortunate enough to have this type of body shape as it is the envy of almost all plus size women for the ample bust and pronounced hips and the significantly defined waist. They effortlessly allude a strong feminity charm. If you’re a Kardashian, you will understand what we mean. With your fuller bust, hips and thighs, look for pieces that hit you in all the right places. Remember to always dress to flatter (not flatten) your curves.
- Feel free to highlight your chest with the open collars and soft drapes.
- Celebrate your well-defined waist. You need no empire silhouette or cinchers.
- Show off your lovely curves in body-hugging silhouettes or peplum tops.
- Balance your wide hips with bootleg pants or the on-trend cropped trousers.
- Stay away from baggy pieces as they can add weight to your body.
If your ratio of bust: waist: hips is 3:3:3...
You are an exceptional rectangular type with a boyish frame. Not particularly curvy,
your shoulders, waist and hip measurements are roughly even and straight. Don’t give up yet for not having that sexy and cute curvature. You can harmonise your body shape with just a few techniques.
- Invest in round open necklines instead of squarish ones. Let your collarbone does all the talking.
- Choose light-coloured pieces to exude your feminine appeal.
- There is no limit on your sleeve length. Go for strapless if you’re daring. If you would like them covered, go ahead with ¾ length sleeves in dark shades.
- Tuck in your top or opt for a top with an elastic waist to shape your waist.
- Wear low-rise bottoms. Let your pants and skirts sit below your waist.
Whatever your body shape is, visual balance is the key. You can do anything you want to as the world is your oyster. Once you achieve the balance between your upper and lower body proportions, you’re good to go! Don’t know where to find good pieces for your body type? Explore ButikBOS Malaysia today for more lovely plus size women’s clothing to accentuate your best features. Ranging from formal business attire to innerwear, we have got you covered!
If you have no idea how to match them, check our article on fashion ideas for plus size ladies.